St. Patrick’s Day may be long past, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still experience the luck o’ the Irish. Summer is one of the best times of the year to visit the Emerald Isle, and for good reason; with temperatures averaging 60 degrees, you’ll be able to escape the sweltering heat of home in the historic (and very green) nation.
Whether you opt for simple Irish castle tours during your trip or are interested in a luxury chauffeur tour that will take you anywhere you want to go, one thing is for sure: you’ve got to drink some traditional Irish beer. Let’s take a look at five of the best beer options Ireland has to offer.
- O’Hara’s Irish Wheat: O’Hara’s Irish Wheat is everything an ale is supposed to be — smooth and thirst-quenching. Although not the common Irish stout, this golden brew joins fruits such as bananas, peaches, and plums with traditional hops to create a lighter, easy-drinking option.
- Smithwick’s Irish Ale: Smithwick’s is often referred to as “Smitticks” by those familiar with this ale. It captures a unique flavor that combines hops with sweet aromatic fruits and deep malt, boasting notes of coffee and roasted barley.
- Porterhouse Brewing Co. Oyster Stout: Porterhouse’s Oyster Stout is truly unique. This Dublin favorite is a dark and aromatic beer that contains an interesting blend of flavorful grains, hops, and fresh oysters.
- Beamish Irish Stout: This stout is created using original Beamish yeast that dates back to 1792! The fully-rounded, malted flavor captures the traditional taste of stout from Ireland.
- Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale: This popular beer has a base flavor similar to that of Smithwick’s, yet the smooth and creamy finish distinguishes the two. Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale certainly is its own unique and delicious blend of flavors.
While the delicious flavors of Guinness are sure to tickle even the least Irish tastebuds, your trip to Ireland would be incomplete if you didn’t run the gamut of Irish beer. Stop at the local pubs in between your Irish castle tours to ensure you don’t miss a drop!